Our memorial day weekend was spent readying our boat and controller for the navy. Out boat and controller were ready to be tested outside after we had driven it around lab indoors last night. When we got the water we were very glad we made the height of the deck adjustable, as the water level seems to have risen. After using some teamwork to adjust the height (left) we have a drivable vehicle in Terman pond! The flip flop below will be replaced by our ballon holder. Now we just need to package our controller nicely and start swapping controllers and boats with other teams.
hey guys! well, after our first checkpoint, we sat down and really started getting into the details of the design, especially the software. After getting the two Xbee modules to communicate with each other, we realized that our code would need to be interrupt driven to successfully read, process, and send messages on time. We're allowing one module to handle the interface with the Xbee, saving us some complexity of having to check flags and all that. Check out our design to the right. ignore the doodles to the right.
We have decided to pursue a very different design than most teams.Since the competition will be taking place in the water, almost everyone has gone with boat designs. However, since the water is so shallow, we decided it would be fun to make a design that rolls across the fountain floor. This design still has a deck with flotation and a single set of wheels. The flotation of the deck causes the wheels to be cantilevered into the fountain floor.
With this design, we may not move as quickly, but should have very good rotational maneuverability making it hard to line up and pop our balloon.
In addition, we have built both of our XBee boards.